- Oversees work of field staff by making and reviewing work assignments, establishing priorities, coordinating activities and resolving work problems.
- Monitors construction to make sure work is being completed according to schedule and budget. Recommends action as necessary to bring adherence to schedule and budget.
- Reviews plans, specs, construction cost data and other contract documents to identify and point out errors, omissions, code violations and design inadequacies.
- Makes field inspections to determine compliance with plans, specs, applicable codes and appropriate construction practice.
- Verifies all necessary inspections, approvals and certifications by appropriate agencies have been completed.
- Attends meetings with parties to the contract concerning contract requirements, job conditions, progress, work quality, disputes, allocation of funds, and other issues.
- Completes daily field reports, weekly site safety audits, 3 week look-aheads and other paperwork as needed.
- Assist field employees with projects as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of building construction, including equipment, tools and materials.
- Knowledge of specifications and blueprints.
- Knowledge of safety precautions in the work place.
- Knowledge of construction codes, laws and contract documents.
- Ability to determine by inspection that specifications and requirements are being met.
- Ability to conduct group meetings and reconcile conflicting views.
- Ability to work from ladders, scaffolds, and hydraulics towers.
- Ability to work under extreme hot or cold weather conditions with extreme dust or dirt.
- Ability to read blueprints and specifications.
- Ability to evaluate construction and/or design problems and recommend solutions.
- Ability to maintain favorable public relations.
- Ability to maintain records, prepare reports and conduct correspondence related to work.
- Ability to make cost studies and estimates.
- Ability to organize and coordinate the work of others.
- Typical assignments frequently require that work be completed outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Exposure to dirt, dust and asbestos material is routine and may require the use of protective clothing and respirators.
- Some jobs require an employee to work on high structures such as ladders and scaffolds.
- Some jobs require an employee to work in a confined space such as tunnels and crawl spaces.
- Some jobs require travel.
- Employees may be required to bend and reach.
- Employees may be required to climb ladders.
- Employees must be required to stand for a minimum of six hours per day.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering or construction management is preferred.
- 5+ years experience in a construction trade is required. 5+ years in a leadership role is preferred.
To apply for a position with Excel contact our Human Resources department.
Download: our Application Form (PDF)
E-mail: Send your resume as an attached Word document or PDF file to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line.
Fax: To submit your application or résumé by fax, please fax to: 913-261-0080.
Mail: Mail your résumé to:
8041 West 47th Street
Overland Park, KS 66203
Attention: Human Resources